The Lower Wylye and Till Valley Benefice Website

Home   News   Services  Our Churches  What's On Contact  

Click on a picture to go to the web page for the parish or use the drop down menu above

Berwick St James

Berwick St James


Fisherton de la Mere

Great Wishford

Little Langford

South Newton

   South Newton


The Langfords

Steeple Langford



Winterbourne Stoke

Winterbourne Stoke

Wylye & Fisherton de la Mere


St James’ Church dates from c. 1191, with additions in the 13th, 14th, 16th and 17th centuries. It is built of flint rubble, chequered flint and freestone and ashlar. It was restored in 1871.

St Nicholas’s Church was built in the 14th century on the site of a Norman church. It is built in a chequerboard pattern of flint and stone and sits on a hill overlooking the River Wylie. It was substantially rebuilt in the 19th century.

There was a chapel in Great Wishford about 1207, probably the predecessor of St Giles’ Church which has been known since 1386. It is built of chequered chalk and flint. The font is Norman, the chancel dates from the 13th century.

St Nicholas of Mira’s Church, standing on the banks of the River Wylie, dates from the 12th century and is built of chequered flint and ashlar.  It was almost entirely rebuilt in 1864 but retained its 12th century doorway.

St Andrew’s Church dates from at least the 14th century but in 1861 was redesigned by T.H Wyatt. It is built mostly from rubblestone and ashlar. The tower was built in the 14th century and currently houses 6 bells dating from c. 1400 to 1887.

St Mary’s Church dates from the 12th century but the shape of the narrow nave may be that of an earlier church. It is built of flint and chalk ashlar. It was restored in 1861.

There may have been a Saxon church on the site of the Church of All Saints which was replaced by a Norman church, of which remains the tower, the chancel and the font. The church was rebuilt in 1326, and also in 1875.

St Mary the Virgin’s Church may date from the 12th century but was recorded as such in 1333. It is built of coursed limestone. There were additions in the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries and was partly rebuilt in 1844.

St Peter’s Church dedication was recorded in 1163. It is built mostly of flint and rubble. There were additions in the 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th centuries. It was extensively restored in 1838.

St John the Baptist’s Church dates in part from the 12th century. It is predominantly Norman and early English, although restored in 1879. It is built of limestone with some flint chequers.

Great Wishford #top Stapleford

Our Parishes:

The Parish of Berwick St James

Church: St James


The Parish of Wishford Magna (Great Wishford)

Church: St Giles


The Parish of South Newton

Church: St Andrew


The Parish of Stapleford

Church: St Mary


The Parish of the Langfords

Churches: Little Langford St Nicholas of Mira

                  Steeple Langford All Saints



The Parish of Stockton

Church: St John the Baptist

BA12 0SE

The Parish of Winterbourne Stoke

Church: St Peter


The Parish of Wylye and Fisherton de la Mere

Church: St Mary the Virgin

BA12 0QZ

Fisherton de la Mere Church is no longer listed as a parish church by the Diocese, but there are three services held there each year